This is a method of tooth root replacement. It is a method that has gradually improved over the years.
Dentists feared this method of treatment in the earlier times since they were not familiar with it and the likelihood of more expectations. However, it has been proved safe although some pain is experienced. These implants provide firm foundations for both removable and fixed replacement teeth.
They are inserted into the jaw and gum with customization to match the natural teeth of the patient. Dental implants are mostly made of titanium. They are various types of dental implants namely:
Endosteal implants: They are commonly used implant types. They have a cylinder-like shape or small screws. They are inserted in the jawbone.
Sub periosteal implants: these implants are suitable to patients with shallow jawbone or those who cannot have a procedure to have it rebuild. They are particularly inserted beneath the gum.
What are some of the merits of dental implants?
- They provide improved speech to the patient since they avoid the slipping of the tongue common in dentures.
- Implants look and feel more natural with minimum disturbance hence very comfortable.
- They are durable if proper dental hygiene practices are observed to maintain them.
- They lead to an improved appearance to the patient since the smile is restored. Moreover, they are not easily noticed.
- Implants are strong and permanent enough to chew food easily hence allow easier eating unlike in dentures which slide making eating and chewing a problem.
Placement of the dental implants.
Generally, these implants work through a process called osseointegraation. There are various steps involved in the placement of the dental implants. They include:
- The implant is placed into the jawbone through surgical procedures by a cosmetic Citrus Heights dentist.
- During the healing process, the implant fuses with the natural jawbone. They combine firmly together to produce a firm and durable foundation for the replacement teeth. This process can take months to fully recover. This involves also appointments with your dentist.
- An abductor, a small connector is then placed on the link formed between the implant and the jawbone. It is usually placed on the top part of the tooth to bind the implant to the replaced tooth.
- Lastly, attachment of the tooth, dentures having multiple teeth or implant containing supported bridges is done to the abutment.
Safety of dental implants.
Titanium, the material that is used in making dental implants is safe since it is accepted by the body and causes no harm. It provides a firm foundation for the replacement teeth. Moreover, surgical operations involving dental implants are some of the safest procedures in dentistry.
This is very true when performed by a competent cosmetic dentist. Dental implants allows stimulation of the natural bone below the missing tooth. It also enables the replacement tooth to feel and work more naturally.